Parañaque declares state of calamity over dengue outbreak
Parañaque has declared a state of calamity to address the outbreak of dengue cases.
According to a health advisory issued by the Parañaque City Health Office, the City Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (CESU) confirmed their epidemic status.
This declaration was approved upon the assessment of the National Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), according to a report by CNN Philippines.
The health advisory said that the dengue cases increased from 1,174 to 1,702 from January 1 to September 14, 2019.
“This is 45% higher compared to the same period last year and now with three deaths,” it said.
The advisory also said that they will implement the enhanced 4-S campaign against dengue of the DOH, which stands for: Search and destroy mosquito-breeding sites; Secure self-protection measures; Seek early consultation; and Support fogging/spraying of the hotspot areas.
“The enhanced 4-S implementation calls for everyone to become prime movers in controlling mosquito population and avoiding any possible dengue deaths within the community,” said Parañque City Mayor Edwin Olivares in a Facebook post containing the city health advisory.
The city ranked fourth among the cities in Metro Manila with a high number of dengue cases.